Church Warden: Timothy Moss
01889 - 271007
P.C.C. Members: Geraldine Taylor
01889 - 270383
Geraldine has lived in Hixon for 43 years, and has attended St.Peter's Church for a number of them. She was formerly a Church Warden and Deputy Warden and has been a valuable member of the PCC for 30 years.
01889 - 271255
Joy is a former teacher, and a Hixon resident for a number of years. She has been a member of the PCC for 3 years, and now represents them on the Deanery Synod.
01889 - 270719
Joan has been a member of St Peter's congregation for almost 20 years. She was a former Church Warden, and also a PCC member for a number of years. She is now more involved in the wider community, on the Open the Book team and, together with Geraldine, helping to run the Craft and Chat meetings. She believes that her involvement with the village community will show God's love at work.
07966 - 068778
Caroline has lived in the Burston and Hixon areas for the last 10 years. She is often to be seen walking with her dog, Luna, around the beautiful countryside of Mid Trent. She is a new member of PCC, having joined in 2017, and brought with her extensive senior management experience gained in the education sector. She enjoys supporting the local community in a variety of ways, and is involved with mission work with young people as Team Leader for the Open the Book Team.
P.C.C. Secretary: Christine Darke
01889 - 271630
Christine has been a resident in Hixon village for over 17 years, and has worked in both the pre-school, and St.Peter's CofE Primary School, as a Teaching Assistant. Whilst Deputy Supervisor at the pre-school she invited the then vicar of St.Peter's to come and talk to the children about Easter. This became a regular event at Church festivals. In 2012 she was asked if she would like to join the PCC as Secretary, and was pleased to do so as she felt it would be helpful to both Church and community. She is not a church goer, but from an early age felt God's love, and the contribution of her time to the PCC is a demonstration of her faith.
Compass Contact: Joan Makinson
01889 - 270719
Website Contact: Joan Makinson
01889 - 270719
7th STAFFORD (Trent Valley) SCOUT GROUP
Hixon and the surrounding villages are served by the 7th Stafford (Trent Valley) Scout Group. Where, our qualified leaders provide a safe and fun environment for young people to learn, play and have adventure.
COME ALONG & JOIN US
BEAVERS - Welcoming Boys and Girls aged 6 to 8 years, our Beaver Colony is a great place for your children to have fun, be active and enjoy the Scouting Adventure.
Meetings are every WEDNESDAY (school term)
CUBS - The Cub Pack welcomes Boys and Girls aged 8 to 11years. Adventure is the keyword for the Cubs and they get to go out on all sorts of visits and trips as part of their badge work.
6:00pm to 7:00pm
Meetings are every MONDAY (school term)
SCOUTS - Our recently formed Scout Troop welcomes Boys and Girls aged between 10 ½ - 14 years old. Why not come along, take a look at what Scouts do, have some fun and join the Scouting adventure. Bring along a friend if you like.
7:00pm to 8:30pm
Meetings are every FRIDAY (school term)
Being involved in Scouting is great fun and you can give as much or as little of your time as you choose.
7:15pm to 9:15pm
*** Adult Volunteers Required ***
We are a rapidly expanding Group and urgently require more adult and young adult volunteers.
If you are interested in helping out in any way, either as a Leader, Assistant Leader, a Group committee member or an occasional helper please contact us using the contact details shown below.
For more information: Contact our GSL- Hayley McCarroll 07484 112045
Email - email@example.com
The Church was consecrated on St. Peter's Day 1848 (Tuesday, 29th June) by the then Bishop of Lichfield, Bishop Sousdale, and was dedicated to St. Peter. The oak chest with the three locks is probably the oldest item and appears to be an original church or tithe chest. The three locks would all have been different and each church warden and the incumbent would have had a key to one of the locks, which ensured that all three had to be present to be able to gain access to the chest. The origin of this chest is unknown but it is believed to have been a gift from Stowe by Chartley.
The East window appears to have been added at a later date, after 1856, as a collection was made for it after the opening of the school on St. Peter's Day 1856. The reredos was added sometime between 1884 and 1887 and was moved to the West end when the Church was decorated. In 1893 the old harmonium was removed and replaced with the present organ which was built by Nicholson & Lord of Walsall. At the same time several pews were removed from the front of the nave, three from the North side and one from the South. The stained glass window on the South side of the nave in memory of Enoch Broad is of interest as it was made by Meyer of Munich. It is also noteworthy that no two window mullions are the same, the designs having been chosen at random from a pattern book.
On 11th October 1889 at about 4-00 o'clock in the afternoon, whilst four persons were engaged in cleaning the Church after the Harvest Festival, the spire of the Church was struck by lightning and considerable damage was done to the spire and the tower. Some of the masonry fell on to the nave roof but happily no-one was injured and the demolition and the rebuilding of the damaged part was accomplished without any accident. It is interesting to note that the bricks used for this repair came from the Hixon brickworks, being made by Mr. Salt. The cost of all the work was covered by insurance. The Diocesan Surveyor estimated the cost of the repairs at £375.
The war memorial on the North wall of the nave was erected in 1920. Of those who gave their lives in the Second World War, it can be seen that the first four names are of those killed at Hixon airfield and buried in the Churchyard. Although many other personnel lost their lives at RAF Hixon they are not included in the Roll of Honour as their remains were interred either in their home parishes or the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Cheshire.
In the 1980's several pews were removed from the back of the Church to make the present open area.